Monday, September 22, 2008

The Bishop and the Barista

I told my congregation about this incident right after it happened. It’s time to share it with the rest of the world.

Last Lenten season, a handful of our circuit congregations had a pulpit exchange for Wednesday night services. It was my turn to drive out to Peace Lutheran in Monroe, about a half hour’s drive.

I pulled into town about a quarter to six, 15 minutes before the beginning of their soup supper. It had already been a long day, so I figured a cup of coffee was calling my name. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a drive-thru espresso stand (for those of you in other areas who aren’t aware of this, out in the Northwest there are at least a dozen drive-thru espresso stands every square mile...they’re kind of like the old Fotomat booths from years ago).

I pulled around the corner, drove behind the Denny’s restaurant, pulled up to the window of the pink-painted stand, only to be greeted by a bikini-clad barista (a recent gimmick that many of our competing coffee kiosks are trying). She had a funny look on her face...probably the fact I was wearing my clerical collar. I’m sure I, too, had the “deer in the headlights” look.

Nevertheless, she asked what I wanted to order. I figured I might as well get that coffee I was wanting, so I went ahead and ordered up my usual 16 oz. extra-hot latte.

After my fifth time through the line, I figured it was time to head to the church for the soup supper.

Okay, okay...actually I left immediately for the church. But the whole incident was certainly not helpful to my Lenten discipline.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! We have one of those in my Seattle neighborhood. My wife and I drove by the place and we were a bit stunned. They built a raised floor and the server's window is full length so that you can see her from head to toe. What they need in there is a chubby guy like me in swim shorts showing off a fat, hairy gut! ;-)

Btw, did they charge more money for the coffee than other places?