Wednesday, January 28, 2009

And now for something completely different...

In my early days in the ministry, before I toughened up and got "mean," I once allowed a family to use the Carpenters' "Top of the World" as a song at a funeral ("I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation," etcetera ... well, you get the idea. Bad theology. Bad decision on my part. I've since repented.)

But this list of alternative funeral songs takes the cake, as compiled from a recent survey and reported in the Daily Telegraph.

The top 10 “alternative” funeral songs:

1. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Eric Idle / Monty Python

2. Cabaret - Liza Minnelli

3. Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye - Gracie Fields

4. My Way - Sid Vicious

5. They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa - Napoleon

6. Fame! I Want To Live Forever - The cast of Fame

7. We’ve Gotta Get Out Of This Place - The Animals

8. Going Underground - The Jam

9. Spirit In The Sky - Dr and The Medics

10. Enjoy Yourself, It’s Later Than You Think - The Specials

Click here to read the full article at the Daily Telegraph.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's as bad as "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tennielle, played at a wedding. http://www.last.fm/music/Captain%2B%2526%2BTennille/_/Muskrat+Love
Not a wedding I did, but one my sister attended.

Kurt Onken said...

Ugh. Now I don't feel so bad for allowing the Carpenters' song.