Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sermon for the Fifth Sunday in Lent/Judica (March 29, 2020)


Lent 5/Judica (March 29, 2020)
“Seeing and Tasting Death” (John 8:51)

            I’m reading the autobiography of a Lutheran pastor who graduated from Concordia Seminary St. Louis in 1918.  His first call was to a small, struggling parish in the slums north of St. Louis.  After many home visits in his first few months as the pastor, things looked promising.  He started a Sunday School and an adult instruction class.  The church hired a talented organist.  But then, he writes:
Then an extraordinary thing happened: the war was over and an influenza epidemic spread throughout the country.  People were dying daily by the thousands.  No public meetings were permitted, not even a confirmation class could meet.  All my work was now in vain.  I visited people and buried the dead.  Then I had an idea.  Pastors at that time did not use the mail, nor did congregations know what advertising was.  I think this was due to the fact that our Lutheran churches were generally considered German churches by most people.  English services were on the increase during the war because it was considered unpatriotic to preach in German.  Sauerkraut had to be renamed “Liberty Cabbage.”

Every week I sent out prayers, a short sermonette, and comforting Bible verses.  I sent these publications not only to members, but also to those whose names I had gathered in the missionary canvassing.  When, after two months, we were permitted by the government to assemble again for public worship, my publicity had paid off.  It was the beginning of a religious revival.[i]

            Sound familiar?  Change the date to 2020, change the disease from influenza to coronavirus, change mail and advertising to email and Facebook and YouTube, and it sounds a lot like what many congregations are doing today.  Whether there will be a religious revival after all this is over remains to be seen.  That’s not our job.  That’s the job of the Holy Spirit working through the message the Church proclaims.
            One part of that message is the word of the Lord Jesus today, where he answers the Jewish leaders who accused him of being a demon-possessed, half-breed, apostate Samaritan.  He says, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.  Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge.  Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death” (John 8:51).  The Jewish leaders responded in mockery:  “Now we know you have a demon!  Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death’” (John 8:52).
“If anyone keeps my word, he will never see death” … or “taste” death, as the case may be.  What does death “look” like?  What does it “taste” like?  It can be ugly.  It can be bloody.  It can be painful and agonizing.  It can be bitter and bilious and nauseating.  We are “seeing” death all around us.  Thousands around the world are “seeing” and “tasting” death right now.
What did it look like and taste like for the individuals in our readings today?  For Abraham, it involved emotional pain and grief and confusion.  God told him to sacrifice his beloved son, Isaac … the very child whom God had promised would be his heir and through whom all nations would be blessed.  Abraham may have even been angry with God, at first, for making such an outrageous demand.
For Isaac, there was also confusion and maybe fear.  “Where’s the lamb for the sacrifice, dad?”  Then, when his father tied him up and placed him on the altar and reached for his knife, Isaac may have felt a terrible breach of trust, a betrayal by his father, especially after hearing his father reassure him, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son” (Genesis 22:8).
“If anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”  The Jews thought Jesus was crazy for making such a claim … so crazy that the idea must come from the devil himself.  Yet Jesus seemed even more insane to them when he claimed to be God.  “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”  And they picked up stones to stone him to death, because they knew exactly what he was saying.  He was claiming to have existed before Abraham.  He was claiming to be eternal.  He was saying that the same God who told Moses at the burning bush that he is the great “I AM” was standing before them at that very moment.  Jesus basically admitted to them, “I am God.”
But this is the hope we have in the face of death.  Only God himself can overcome death for us.  And Jesus of Nazareth – God in the flesh, the great I AM, the most sane and only sinless man to have ever lived – looked death right in the eyes and tasted death for us at the cross.  Jesus drank the cup of his Father’s wrath over our sin and the sins of all people to the last bitter dregs.  Death swallowed Jesus up … but in allowing himself to be swallowed up by death, Jesus in turn swallowed up death and did away with it for us … both physical death and eternal death, that is to say, eternal separation from God and his love and gracious presence because of the curse of sin.
            Jesus is the Lamb that God provided to take the place of all of us Isaacs.  Jesus was sacrificed for our sins.  You and I get to go free and live.  Abraham rejoiced to see his day.  How did he see it?  He saw it from afar by faith in God’s promises.  Abraham knew that God had promised to send a Savior one day.  And he knew that his son had a part to play in that promise.  That’s why Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son when God told him to do so as a test of his faith.  The author of Hebrews tells us that, “By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son, of whom it was said, ‘Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.’  He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back” (Hebrews 11:17-19).  I don’t know about you, but I find that a remarkable statement … that Abraham had such confidence in God’s promises, that he fully expected God to raise Isaac from the dead.
Death was never a part of God’s plan for his creation.  It entered because of the Fall into sin back in the Garden of Eden.  It leaves a bitter taste in our mouths.  It is painful … both in body and in soul.  The pain lingers.  Grief comes in waves, like a storm at first, crashing down hard upon you … and later as the surf hits you at unexpected times and upends you so that you feel that old, familiar sadness over someone you love and miss.  And even though you and I know that Jesus has conquered death for us, it is still painful for the Christian, because it is out of order, it strains against life, it seeks to defeat life, it is the complete opposite of what God is all about, which is being life and giving life.
But there is another truth about death for the Christian.  Yes, death is the enemy.  But in another sense, it is the gateway to Paradise, just as Jesus told the thief on the cross who confessed faith in him, “Today you will be with me in Paradise.”  We should never hasten death for ourselves or for others.  But we can welcome it when it approaches.  We can sing with the hymnwriters:
·       Hymn 724:  For me to live is Jesus, To die is gain for me; So when my Savior pleases, I meet death willingly. (LSB 724 stanza 1)
·       Hymn 878:  I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless; Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness.  Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?  I triumph still if Thou abide with me! (LSB 878 stanza 5)
·       Hymn 679:  Oh, how blest are they whose toils are ended, Who through death have unto God ascended!  They have arisen From the cares which keep us still in prison. (LSB 679 stanza 1)
·       Hymn 938:  In peace and joy I now depart Since God so wills it.  Serene and confident my heart;  Stillness fills it.  For the Lord has promised me  That death is but a slumber. (LSB 938 stanza 1)
“Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness.”  Death’s sting has been taken away.  Jesus has conquered the grave for us.  The Lamb of God was slain for us so that we Isaacs get to live.  The Lamb of God rose for us.  Therefore, death can also be called “sweet” by the Christian, as in these words from an aria by Johann Sebastian Bach:
Come, sweet death, come, blessed rest!Come lead me to peacebecause I am weary of the world,O come! I wait for you,come soon and lead me,close my eyes.Come, blessed rest!

“If anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”  Trust in Jesus.  Trust in him as the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.  Trust in him who forgives YOUR sin.  In this way, you keep his Word.  In this way, you will never see eternal death.  You will never taste eternal death.  In his death and resurrection, Jesus conquered death for you.  And, though you will see and taste the bitterness of physical death, it will also taste sweet for you as you are led into the nearer presence of your Savior Jesus to await the day when you will rise to life again, following in the footsteps of the one who rose on Easter morning.
INI




[i] Berthold von Schenk, Lively Stone (Delhi, NY: American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, 2006), 37.

No comments: