Thursday, July 22, 2010

Must be the Irish blood


I write like
James Joyce

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


Just ran into this fun little tool called I Write Like. That's where the nifty badge above comes from. The site takes a sample of your writing, runs it through a statistical analysis, and compares it with famous writers. Frankly, I've only read a smattering of Joyce's stuff, but I guess it could be worse. I submitted a sermon I wrote this past June. At least it didn't come out "I write like Doctor Seuss."

Scott Diekmann over at Stand Firm posted his badge (Daniel Defoe) and then posted a description of Defoe from The Literature Network. Thought I'd do the same and see what they had to say about Joyce.

James Joyce (1882-1941), Irish novelist, noted for his experimental use of language in such works as Ulysses (1922) and Finnegans Wake (1939). Joyce's technical innovations in the art of the novel include an extensive use of interior monologue; he used a complex network of symbolic parallels drawn from the mythology, history, and literature, and created a unique language of invented words, puns, and allusions.

I can live with that. However, I wonder if my sermons are at all compared to Finnegan's Wake, of which the aforementioned website says

Some critics considered the work a masterpiece, though many readers found it incomprehensible.

No comments: