Friday, March 13, 2020

Service Outline and Propers for Lent 3/Oculi (March 15, 2020)


HYMN: Rise, My Soul, to Watch and Pray......................................... LSB 663

Confession + Absolution............................................................. LSB 151

Introit                                                             Psalm 25:1–2, 17–18, 20; antiphon: vv. 15–16
My eyes are ever | toward the Lord,*
   for he will pluck my feet out | of the net.
Turn to me and be gra- | cious to me,*
   for I am lonely and af- | flicted.
To you, | O Lord,*
   I lift
| up my soul.
O my God, in you I trust; let me not be
| put to shame;*
   let not my enemies exult
| over me.
The troubles of my heart
| are enlarged;*
   bring me out of my dis-
| tresses.
Consider my affliction and my
| trouble,*
   and forgive
| all my sins.
Oh, guard my soul, and de-
| liver me!*
   Let me not be put to shame, for I take ref-
| uge in you.
Glory be to the Father and | to the Son*
   and to the Holy | Spirit;
as it was in the be- | ginning,*
   is now, and will be forever. | Amen.
My eyes are ever | toward the Lord,*
   for he will pluck my feet out | of the net.
Turn to me and be gra- | cious to me,*
   for I am lonely and af- | flicted.

Kyrie.................................................................................... LSB 152

The Hymn of Praise is omitted during Lent.

Salutation and Collect of the Day
O God, whose glory it is always to have mercy, be gracious to all who have gone astray from Your ways and bring them again with penitent hearts and steadfast faith to embrace and hold fast the unchangeable truth of Your Word; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Old Testament Reading                                                                            Exodus 8:16–24
   Then the Lord said to Moses, “Say to Aaron, ‘Stretch out your staff and strike the dust of the earth, so that it may become gnats in all the land of Egypt.’” And they did so. Aaron stretched out his hand with his staff and struck the dust of the earth, and there were gnats on man and beast. All the dust of the earth became gnats in all the land of Egypt. The magicians tried by their secret arts to produce gnats, but they could not. So there were gnats on man and beast. Then the magicians said to Pharaoh, “This is the finger of God.” But Pharaoh’s heart was hardened, and he would not listen to them, as the Lord had said.
   Then the Lord said to Moses, “Rise up early in the morning and present yourself to Pharaoh, as he goes out to the water, and say to him, ‘Thus says the Lord, “Let my people go, that they may serve me. Or else, if you will not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies on you and your servants and your people, and into your houses. And the houses of the Egyptians shall be filled with swarms of flies, and also the ground on which they stand. But on that day I will set apart the land of Goshen, where my people dwell, so that no swarms of flies shall be there, that you may know that I am the Lord in the midst of the earth. Thus I will put a division between my people and your people. Tomorrow this sign shall happen.”’” And the Lord did so. There came great swarms of flies into the house of Pharaoh and into his servants’ houses. Throughout all the land of Egypt the land was ruined by the swarms of flies.

A    This is the Word of the Lord.
C    Thanks be to God.

Gradual                                                                                                         Psalm 9:19, 3
Arise, O Lord! Let not | man prevail;*
   let the nations be judged be-
| fore you!
When my enemies
| turn back,*
   they stumble and perish before your
| presence.

Epistle                                                                                                        Ephesians 5:1–9
   Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
   But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not associate with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true).

A    This is the Word of the Lord.
C    Thanks be to God.

Verse for Lent........................................................................ LSB 157

Holy Gospel                                                                                                 Luke 11:14–28
P    The Holy Gospel according to St. Luke, the eleventh chapter.
C    Glory to You, O Lord.
  
   Now [Jesus] was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled. But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons,” while others, to test him, kept seeking from him a sign from heaven. But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe; but when one stronger than he attacks him and overcomes him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his spoil. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
   “When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and finding none it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house swept and put in order. Then it goes and brings seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there. And the last state of that person is worse than the first.”
   As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

P    This is the Gospel of the Lord.
C    Praise to You, O Christ.
  
Catechesis

HYMN: I Walk in Danger All the Way............................................... LSB 716

Sermon

Apostles' Creed

Prayer of the Church

Offering
If you are a visitor, please do not feel obligated to contribute to our offering.  This is the privilege and responsibility of the members of our congregation.  It is part of our worship out of gratitude for what God has done for us through his crucified and risen Son. (1 Cor. 16:1-2; 2 Cor. 9:6-8)

Offertory............................................................................... LSB 159
  
Preface, etc........................................................................... LSB 160

HYMNS during Distribution
438 A Lamb Goes Uncomplaining Forth
631 Here, O My Lord, I See Thee Face to Face
551 When to Our World the Savior Came

Nunc Dimittis, etc.................................................................... LSB 165

HYMN: Grant Peace, We Pray, in Mercy, Lord................................... LSB 777

Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Created by Lutheran Service Builder © 2018 Concordia Publishing House.

No comments: